What is seo?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is how we ensure a site reaches the top pages within a search engine. We want to optimize the page so it has a good SEO score – the higher the score, the higher your site will be in a search engine (such as google, etc).
Here is what SemRush, experts on SEO has to say about it:
So what does this mean? Like I mentioned before, the higher the score the higher you will rank, we basically have to ‘Persuade’ the search engine that your website should be on the first page, that it deserves a spot there with the others. A search engine won’t want to promote your page if it doesn’t think you’re a credible option, so in basic terms you need to prove to them that you deserve that spot.
Why Do we do this?
You may ask “Why should I do this?” The simple answer is: more business and we all know more business leads to more profit! Many people, when looking for a service, will take to google and search for what service they need. If yours is among the first to appear in that search it is HIGHLY likely they’ll look at your website and prices and may even buy/ look into buying your service/product.
So are you still confused about what SEO is used for? Well, I’ll explain why we do this in more detail and one part of that is greatly to do with Organic traffic. What is organic traffic? That’s what google shows for you, your link displayed in the results – of course paid adverts will rank higher, but you can still get on the first page for free and get more visitors without even paying a penny to a search engine. They’re basically directing traffic to you for free! You just have to ensure you prove you’re worthy of it. That is why SEO is important!
Customers are also likely to search for you if they hear about you, to ensure you’re worthwhile to work with, so appearing higher in the searches will give them some more confidence about your services.
Like I mentioned before, a better ranking equals more potential customers! And who doesn’t want more business?
How Do we do this?
So now we’ve gone over the what and why – you’re probably asking how! There are many different ways to improve your SEO score/ranking, most times users may not notice these, but some can make a difference to their experience (such as loading times)!
One thing we use is something called “Meta” tags to be technical, but in basic these describe your pages content.
- We have one that states the keyword(s), this will help your page come up when a search is made using one of the specified keywords
- the title tag there are used both in the search engine as what it displays the page as e.g the name of the page/site they’re clicking on and also the name in the tab at the top of your browser!
- We also commonly use a description tag which shows the description of the page so anyone who sees your site appear can read a small snippet before clicking!
These tags above are all commonly used! Another meta tag however is the robot attribute tag that tells search engines how to “browse your website”.
Further Improving SEO
So can we improve a site’s SEO anymore? Yes, we can! Here’s a list of some of the things you can do:
- Regular Content updates, search engines sees sites with regular updates as more relevant
- Use keywords and names in your links, this gives them more SEO value
- Use ALT tags, not only is this good for anyone using a screen reader, it helps search engines to locate you better
- Faster loading times for web pages also improves SEO
So as you can see, SEO is really important for your sites wellbeing! We hope this helped you further understand how Crucial SEO is to your site and business. While you’re here why not check out or blog post on improving CRO even with the best SEO you want CRO so they continue browsing once they have found your website!